The naffest traffic calming scheme in the country?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Nicholas

The naffest traffic calming scheme in the country?

Post by Nicholas »

I was out and about in Wigan earlier this week, and came across what must surely be the most pathetic attempt at traffic calming?

Here is the "chicane"...
...nothing more than a few painted lines!

And even the signage is the wrong way around...

EDIT: correction to spelling error
Last edited by Nicholas on Sun Jul 06, 2008 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Please tell me this is a photoshop hoax.

Derek
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is not a Photoshop hoax - its situated at the side of Wallgate railway station on an un-named side street.
Updated 1 November 2019!
RoadKill

Post by RoadKill »

That is quite naff - an invisible chicane. At least you can't crash into it :wink:

That probably deserves a mention in the Random, Rubbish and Ridiculous thread.

I'd say that example can't be as bad as Martin Lane, Morden where cycle lanes have the humps and cyclists are made to give way.
Mike
moogal

Post by moogal »

RoadKill wrote:That is quite naff - an invisible chicane. At least you can't crash into it :wink:
There are/were some in Rugby which I remember from when I was learning to drive, that were about an inch higher than the road surface, and almost exactly the same colour. Difficult to spot in the daytime, pretty much impossible at night.
M45 Tailback

Post by M45 Tailback »

Still there in places. It's worse on a wet night.
Steve S

Resurrect the A604!
Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

Sounds a bit like the chicanes on Old Station Road in Newmarket... little more than a cobbled outline, you can drive straight over them.
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Methinks I might go to Wigan to see this for myself!

btw, when you said the signs are the wrong wa round, did you type "Worng" to make a point about the signs being wrong, by typing 'wrong' wrong?! :lol:
(...perhaps not eh! :wink: )

This is a bit like some pics I posted ages ago of painted road humps, where the 'pod' type humps are simply painted on the road!
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

True Yorkie wrote:btw, when you said the signs are the wrong wa round, did you type "Worng" to make a point about the signs being wrong, by typing 'wrong' wrong?! :lol:
(...perhaps not eh! :wink: )
I hadn't done it on purpose, but it does make a good point! :D
Updated 1 November 2019!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bit of a half-baked job all round really, with the signs the wrong way round, and a good 30cm of empty pole above them.

Shoddy work!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Well it IS Wigan, they aren't well known for doing things logically, some of their 20 zones around the Saddle junction with the wrong legends and designs are just as half-baked.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
RichieGraham

Post by RichieGraham »

Chris5156 wrote:Bit of a half-baked job all round really, with the signs the wrong way round, and a good 30cm of empty pole above them.
Should the plates be below the signs as well?
I'm so embarassed that I wish everybody else would just die; Bender Bending Rodrẽguez, Futurama
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Chris5156 wrote:Bit of a half-baked job all round really, with the signs the wrong way round, and a good 30cm of empty pole above them.
Wow, that's nearly a foot :o :P
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

PeterA5145 wrote:
Wow, that's nearly a foot :o :P
:shock:
*pet hate alert!*

and Yes RichieGraham the sub-plates should be below the main sign plates.

I'd send those pictures to the Local Council, for the attention of the Director of Roads... :stir:
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

What is getting me is the fact they have used BOTH priority signs wrong! If they had used the roundel in both situations, and just used it wrongly for the 'priority over oncoming' instance, then you could grant them that perhaps they'd run out of the blue signs. Or vice-versa if the blue signs had been used. But they've used BOTH of them in the wrong setting!

Forget just the local council, I think this one deserves to be sent to Top Gear... Although it probably won't beat that "Sign Not In Use" one!! Although I have a nagging feeling that was photoshopped.
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Nicholas wrote:Image
:lol: :lol:
True Yorkie wrote:Forget just the local council, I think this one deserves to be sent to Top Gear... Although it probably won't beat that "Sign Not In Use" one!!
Well...
True Yorkie wrote:Although I have a nagging feeling that was photoshopped.
I certainly agree. These normally correspond to a VMS that's not in use, and in theory would be better saying 'VMS NOT IN USE', but does the average Joe Bloggs know what a VMS is?
Simon
doebag

Post by doebag »

Is it traffic calming / or is it something to do with that brick wall ?

The wall seems to have had some repair work done, and there appear to be new coping stones on the top of part of the wall.
I do not know the area at all, but possibly a car in the car park has hit the wall and dislodged the brickwork. The white painted hatched area was put there while some temporary barrier or fencing was put in place to stop people/vehicles getting to close to the dislodged brick work.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

That's bloody dangerous. Personally I would see the blue sign and ignore the words and assume it's my priority. Those less sign aware may read the words on the other side and assume it's their priority :?
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Mark Hewitt wrote:That's bloody dangerous. Personally I would see the blue sign and ignore the words and assume it's my priority. Those less sign aware may read the words on the other side and assume it's their priority :?
At Tesco, Elmers End off the A222, all the dirvers ignore the now wrongly placed give way sign and respect the give way markings in the road. This is after they changed the road markings but not the sign. I guess this is safer though, as if drivers from both directions obey the instructions, they will both simply be waiting, rather than crashing.

ziltro

Post by ziltro »

At least it's better than actually having an obstruction you have to swerve round.
True Yorkie wrote:Although it probably won't beat that "Sign Not In Use" one!!
Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but: Sign not in use.
Andrew