The naffest traffic calming scheme in the country?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

True Yorkie wrote:Forget just the local council, I think this one deserves to be sent to Top Gear...
I'm sure SABRE will have a few nominations for them!
True Yorkie wrote:Actually Although it probably won't beat that "Sign Not In Use" one!! Although I have a nagging feeling that was photoshopped.
No, it's on the B3159 near Martinstown. The sign has been circulating the internet for quite some time now.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

ziltro wrote:Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but: Sign not in use.
You'd have to watch Top Gear :)
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

Hehe, it just cracked me up so much!

A sign I found on my random bike outings was on a farm gate which said "Free Range Children" - must be a new farming method!!

Another sign i got a pic of was in Peterbrough train station: "take care when using the hot water, as it is hot". No kidding...

And in a layby near wetherby there is a police sign which says "property on display will be stolen", so they must have a gang that comes round to steal the stuff and then the police 'arrest' them and keep the figures looking good!
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

True Yorkie wrote:A sign I found on my random bike outings was on a farm gate which said "Free Range Children" - must be a new farming method!!
Is that anything like these:
BigToe

Post by BigToe »

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/986 ... 8e.jpg?v=0

There's the "Sign Not In Use" sign... I remembered it because I used it a couple of days ago for a presentation (don't ask!)
"Happiness is the road you travel, not the destination you arrive at." (Tony Rook, Hertfordshire Histories: Roads)
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

nowster wrote:
True Yorkie wrote:A sign I found on my random bike outings was on a farm gate which said "Free Range Children" - must be a new farming method!!
Is that anything like these:
Ah, the lack of punctuation makes some amusing outcomes!
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

True Yorkie wrote: (snip 'Demolition Children' pic)

Ah, the lack of punctuation makes some amusing outcomes!
You don't even need any punctuation -- just some sensible, logical typesetting:

DEMOLITION
CHILDREN KEEP OUT!

In running text, you'd want something -- a hyphen, colon or comma -- between 'children' and 'keep', but in this context it's not necessary. Where design and layout are as important as the actual text being conveyed, you can do a lot for meaning just by making the thing look aesthetically OK.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

doebag wrote:Is it traffic calming / or is it something to do with that brick wall ?

The wall seems to have had some repair work done, and there appear to be new coping stones on the top of part of the wall.
I do not know the area at all, but possibly a car in the car park has hit the wall and dislodged the brickwork. The white painted hatched area was put there while some temporary barrier or fencing was put in place to stop people/vehicles getting to close to the dislodged brick work.
There is a car park behind the wall. I was in Wigan again today so went and had another look. To be honest, I don't think it relates to the wall as most of the wall appears to have been rebuilt - in fact the only bits that appear not to have been redone is the narrow section to the left of my picture (its about a metre wide) - the rebuilt bit seems to continue to the left of that section. Another thing is that the car park at the point behind the section of the wall in the picture is elevated, the wall is rather short if looked at from the car park.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
RichieGraham

Post by RichieGraham »

There's quite a few of those around here... and trust me, quite often they're needed!
I'm so embarassed that I wish everybody else would just die; Bender Bending Rodrẽguez, Futurama
Paul

Re: The naffest traffic calming scheme in the country?

Post by Paul »

Nicholas wrote:Image
Has anyone else noticed the road narrows anyway just past the chicance. That truly makes it pointless.
Regards,
Paul
ellandback

Re: The naffest traffic calming scheme in the country?

Post by ellandback »

Nicholas wrote: And even the signage is the wrong way around...
There are currently some roadworks causing a temporary width restriction on Whitehall Road in central Leeds. Heading outbound from the station, there is a red roundel "give priority" sign. Meanwhile, heading inbound towards the station there is, erm, a red roundel "give priority" sign. :shock:

It's a good job nobody seems to know what these signs mean (including, presumably, the people who put them there) or the whole city would be gridlocked. :roll:

Still, I suppose it's better than having two blue "priority over" signs. :evil:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I actually had to use the Wallgate car park today, so I saw this horror for myself.

The car coming the other way at the time was quite confused by it, totally contradictory and frankly an abomination. The person responsible should be sacked immediately.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck